NASA Wisconsin Space Grant Consortium
First Nations Launch 2021
PATCH DESIGN CONTEST
12TH Annual Competition
Deadline: March 1, 2021
Design the 2021 First Nations Launch High-Power Rocket Competition Patch.
Application & Patch Template
Undergraduate students attending a Tribal College or University (TCU), a Native American-Serving Nontribal Institution (NASNTI), and/or who are members of an active AISES (American Indian Science and Engineering Society) collegiate chapter.
Theme: Moon Challenge
Teams are required to design and construct a warning sensor system (flight recorder) mounted inside a high-power rocket. The rocket shall reach an apogee of 3,500-4,000 ft AGL, and the warning sensor system will be designed to record two flight events aboard the rocket during its ascent, including one nominal separation event and one airframe anomaly. Both events must be recorded on the flight recording system, and a video showing one event is required.
- First Nations Launch
- 12th Annual (optional)
Logos are available at
2020 Winning patch design (right) created by Janna Steen from Nueta Hidatsa Sahnish College.
Design should be submitted in a digital format. Hand-drawn designs may be converted to a digital image if selected. Suggested tools for creating your design include but are not limited to:
- Adobe Illustrator
- Microsoft Word
Designs can be square or circular, no larger than a 4” diameter. A border must be a part of the final image.
Submit entries to the Wisconsin Space Grant Consortium firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Subject line: FNL21_Patch Contest
- Applicant Information:
- Home Mailing Address
- Phone Number
- Academic Institution
- AISES Chapter (if applicable)
Design entry must be entrant’s original design. It may not be copied or traced from another source.
The following evaluation criteria will be equally weighted.
- Design Aesthetics
- Communication of Mission Theme
- Communication of the Spirit of FNL
Designer of the winning design will be awarded a $100 cash prize and their design will be the official 2021 competition patch distributed to all participants.
WSGC and the contest organizers:
- Reserve the right to not use any entries submitted for the patch contest.
- Will honor the original artwork composition as much as possible. Changes made to the design will only be made when necessary to create the final patch design.
- Reserve the right to exclusively authorize the reproduction of the winning design.
- Reserve the right to utilize the patch imagery in future NASA, WSGC, and First Nations Launch marketing.
- Cannot confirm individual designs have been received.
- Have the right to use the winning applicant’s name and image without compensation.