Announcement of Opportunity 2016-2017
Applications Open: February 24, 2017
Submission Deadline: March 24, 2017
Award Announcements: April 7, 2017
Applications Open: October 31, 2016
Submission Deadline: December 12, 2016
Award Announcements: February 24, 2017
Major Awards: up to $10,000
Minor Award: up to $5,000
WSGC will not fund overhead; however, it may be counted as part of the academic institution’s 1:1 project match. Successful proposals will combine a robust, relevant research project with a plan that fully integrates students into meaningful, high-caliber, significant research experiences from 10 weeks to a full or academic year, culminating in a presentation. Awards will be based on the proposal topic, quality, credentials of the investigator(s), the probability of success in developing space-related research infrastructure, and specific plans on how this seed funding will help to build this research program.
*Based on availability of funds.
Purpose: The Wisconsin Space Grant Consortium (WSGC) Research Infrastructure Program is designed to provide support to faculty and research staff from the WSGC universities and colleges seeking to initiate a new or continue a current research program, as well as from the WSGC industrial affiliates to establish a space-related research program. The awards provide faculty and research staff support for a variety of activities related to developing space science, aerospace, and space-related research infrastructure.
Categories: Awards will be made in the following categories:
- Faculty Research Seed Grants and/or Faculty Proposal Writing
- Research Initiatives (e.g. seminars, workshops and/or travel to NASA Centers, etc.)
- emphasize new lines of space-related research.
- increase research capability.
- build research infrastructure.
- establish research collaborations.
- initiate research opportunities in line with the NASA Mission Directorates (For more information on NASA Directorates, see www.carthage.edu/about/mission/directorates).
- enhance research collaborations, mentorships, and other opportunities with NASA Centers.
- establish collaborations among faculty from liberal arts colleges with faculty from research-intensive doctoral universities, Wisconsin aerospace industries, and NASA Centers.
- implement research activities linking academic and industrial affiliates, including workshops, seminars, internships, data transfer, and technology transfer.
- Register on the WSGC website (https://www.carthage.edu/about/login). You will be required to update your information annually.
- Sign in and submit the Grant Application Form (you may apply to multiple funding programs) and supporting documents.
- PI and funded students must be U.S. Citizens.
- Faculty and research staff at all WSGC universities and colleges and staff at WSGC industrial affiliates are eligible.
- Research initiatives must focus on NASA-related activities including: earth and atmospheric sciences, astronautics, aeronautics, space sciences, and any other space-related fields (e.g. agriculture, business, law, medicine, nursing, social and behavioral sciences, and space architecture).
- The Consortium especially encourages applications from women, minorities and persons with disabilities.
- A 1:1 match
Supporting Materials Required with Application:
Submit a proposal addressing each of the seven categories listed below. Be sure to clearly label each category within your proposal. You will be asked to upload your proposal at the bottom of the application. It should not exceed 15 pages, including figures. Proposal budgets cannot exceed 1 year and a $10,000 maximum award. (see the Announcement of Opportunity 2017 for specific details):
- Proposed Activities
- Time Line
- Previous Budget
*Note: This grant only allows one Principal Investigator to be listed on the application.
Award Acceptance Requirements: As part of the award acceptance, awardees will be asked to attend the Annual Wisconsin Space Conference as outlined in the award agreement and submit the following documents on the WSGC application website under Program Applications/Your Applications:
- Award Agreement Letter
- Institution W9
- Media Release Form
- One-Paragraph Biography
- Professional Photo
- Payment Information Form
- Proposed and Verified Final Budget
- Certification of Charges Form
- Intended and Verified Program Match Form
- Office of Education Survey
- Summary Report
- Interim Report (if project end date falls after the 1st of May)
- Final Report (due 30 days after the project end date)
- Present project at the Annual Wisconsin Space Conference
If you have questions about the Research Infrastructure Program, please contact:
Associate Director for Research Infrastructure
Wisconsin Space Grant Consortium
Interim Associate Dean, College of Science and Health
University of Wisconsin-La Crosse
La Crosse, WI 54601
Wisconsin Space Grant Consortium
2001 Alford Park Drive
Kenosha, WI 53140
This funding opportunity is made available for the pursuit of space-related research and/or activities through the National Space Grant College and Fellowship Program: NASA Training Grant #NNX15AJ12H. Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) number for this award is 43.008.
All awards are fully competitive awards of opportunity in which applications are reviewed by the WSGC Technical Advisory Panel and other experts as needed. Awards are made by the Assistant Director based on recommendations from the Associate Director.