Announcement of Opportunity 2019-2020
Applications Open: October 25, 2019
Submission Deadline: December 4, 2019
Award Announcements: February 21, 2020
Multi-institutional Awards: up to $20,000**
Major Awards: up to $10,000
Minor Award: up to $5,000
*Based on availability of funds.
**Projects demonstrating collaboration between two- and four-year campuses or multiple four-year campuses will be eligible for the multi-institutional award.
Purpose: The Wisconsin Space Grant Consortium (WSGC) Research Infrastructure Program is designed to provide support to faculty and research staff from the WSGC universities and colleges seeking to initiate a new or continue a current research program, as well as from the WSGC industrial affiliates to establish a space-related research program. The awards provide faculty and research staff support for a variety of activities related to developing space science, aerospace, and space-related research infrastructure.
Programs should do two or more of the following:
- Emphasize new lines of space-related research.
- Increase research capability.
- Build research infrastructure.
- Establish research collaborations.
- Initiate research opportunities in line with the NASA Mission Directorates (For more information on NASA Directorates, see spacegrant.carthage.edu/about/mission/directorates).
- Enhance research collaborations, mentorships, and other opportunities with NASA Centers.
- Establish collaborations among faculty from liberal arts colleges with faculty from research-intensive doctoral universities, Wisconsin aerospace industries, and NASA Centers.
- Implement research activities linking academic and industrial affiliates, including workshops, seminars, internships, data transfer, and technology transfer.
Successful proposals will combine a robust, relevant research project with a plan that fully integrates students into meaningful, high-caliber, significant research experiences from 10 weeks to a full or academic year, culminating in a presentation. Awards will be based on the proposal topic, quality, credentials of the investigator(s), the probability of success in developing space-related research infrastructure, and specific plans on how this seed funding will help to build this research program.
- Register on the WSGC website (https://spacegrant.carthage.edu/forms/account/login). Returning applicants will be required to update registration information annually.
- Sign in and submit the Grant Application Form(applicants may apply to multiple funding programs) and supporting documents.
- Students funded through this grant must be U.S. Citizens..
- Faculty and research staff at all WSGC universities and colleges and staff at WSGC industrial affiliates are eligible.
- Research initiatives must focus on NASA-related activities including: earth and atmospheric sciences, astronautics, aeronautics, space sciences, and any other space-related fields (e.g. agriculture, business, law, medicine, nursing, social and behavioral sciences, space architecture, and space biology).
- Research initiatives must align with at least one of NASA’s Mission Directorates: Aeronautics Research, Human Exploration and Operations, Science, and/or Space Technology.
- The Consortium especially encourages applications from women, minorities and persons with disabilities.
- Minimum 1:1 match
Supporting Material Required with Application: Submit a proposal addressing each of the six categories listed below. Be sure to clearly label each category within the proposal. Applicants will be asked to upload the proposal at the bottom of the application. It should not exceed 15 pages, including figures (see the Announcement of Opportunity for specific details):
- Proposed Activities
- Time Line
- Grant Proposal Budget Template Form 2020
*Note: This grant only allows one Principal Investigator to be listed on the application.
Award Acceptance Requirements: As part of the award acceptance, awardees will be asked to attend the Annual Wisconsin Space Conference as outlined in the award agreement and submit the following documents on the WSGC application website under Program Applications/Professional Student Programs:
- Award Agreement Letter
- Institution W9
- Media Release Form
- One-Paragraph Biography
- PI Professional Photo
- Quarterly Invoice with Receipt Copies
- Verified Program Match Form
- Office of Education Survey must be completed by December 15, 2020
- Interim Report (if period of performance is greater than 6 months)
- Summary/Final Report (due 30 days after the project end date)
- Present project at the Annual Wisconsin Space Conference
- 2-3 project photos featuring faculty/students
Please direct questions about the Research Infrastructure Program to:
Associate Director for Research Infrastructure
Wisconsin Space Grant Consortium
Associate Dean, College of Science and Health
University of Wisconsin-La Crosse
La Crosse, WI 54601
Wisconsin Space Grant Consortium
2001 Alford Park Drive
Kenosha, WI 53140
This funding opportunity is made available for the pursuit of space-related research and/or activities through the National Space Grant College and Fellowship Program: NASA Training Grant #NNX15AJ12H. Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) number for this award is 43.008. Award recipients are subject to the terms of this award.
All awards are fully competitive awards of opportunity in which applications are reviewed by the WSGC Technical Advisory Panel and other experts as needed. Awards are made by the Assistant Director based on recommendations from the Associate Director.