WSGC Graduate & Professional Research Fellowship
Announcement of Opportunity 2018-2019
Applications Open: November 30, 2018
Submission Deadline: February 5, 2019
Award Announcements: March 29, 2019
- 2019 Summer Research: Up to $5000
- 2019-2020 Academic-Year Research: Up to $5000
*Based on availability of funds.
Purpose: Partial research fellowship awards to support outstanding students enrolled in a graduate or professional degree granting program at a Wisconsin member institution pursuing aerospace, space science, or other interdisciplinary space-related independent research or design.
- Register on the WSGC website (https://spacegrant.carthage.edu/forms/account/login). Applicants will be prompted to update personal information annually.
- Sign in and submit the Grant Application Form(applicants may apply to multiple funding programs) and supporting documents.
- Provide two letter(s) of recommendation in PDF format through the online application process or confidentially via email to the WSGC Program Office with subject line RFP18_LOR.
- U.S. citizen
- Enrolled full-time in, admitted to, or applied to any graduate or professional degree granting program at a WSGC college or university
- Minimum 3.0 GPA (Proposals that include a GPA of less than 3.0 will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis)
- Above average GRE, MCAT, or equivalent scores
- Research or design in a field related to space or aerospace
- Completed application packet (see Supporting Materials Required with Application below)
The Consortium invites applications for WSGC Graduate & Professional Research Fellowship Program Awards for the 2019-2020 academic year. For consideration, application forms must be complete, and be accompanied by supporting documentation. The Consortium especially encourages applications from members of minority groups, women, persons with disabilities, and from those pursuing interdisciplinary aerospace studies in, but not limited to, engineering, the sciences, architecture, law, business, nursing and medicine. Award winners will be chosen based on academic performance, aerospace-related promise, and the demonstrated interest in pursuing a career in STEM/aerospace.
Supporting Materials Required with Application:
- A two- to four-page proposal containing the following (see Tools & Tips for more information on how to create professional communications):
- A clear, concise statement of the space, aerospace, or space-related research. Include how the independent research, at least in a broad sense, aligns with NASA Directorate or Center goals.
- Tasks, schedules and clearly stated expected results.
- Evidence of previous interest and experience in space-related studies.
- The significance/value of work for the space/aerospace field.
- Complete Academic Resume (see Tools & Tips for more information on how to create a resume)
- One-Page Budget Summary (for your independent research that should be for your sole benefit)
- Provide a brief explanation of any major expenditure items. Any travel or other expenses should be related to your research. You may request living stipends, tuition offsets, supplies and expenses, and similar sorts of funding. WSGC will support travel to and from the Wisconsin Space conference only if expenses are included in the budget proposal.
- International travel, computers and salary are not allowable expenses under NASA training grants such as WSGC.
Be specific under this column.
Salaries and Fringe
(Faculty, Students, Other)*
Annual Wisconsin Space Conference (travel/presentation)**
Supplies and Expense***
*Salaries and Fringe budgets should include the following details: name/position, number of hours, hourly rate, and fringe calculation rates.
**WSGC financially supports travel to and from the Wisconsin Space Conference only if expenses are included in this budget proposal. Travel will be considered if it is fundamentally important to the project. Out of country travel cannot be funded. Please delineate between air, ground, lodging, and meal expenses. Travel details should include purpose, location, and duration.
***WSGC will not fund overhead.
- Copies (unofficial are acceptable) of your undergraduate transcript(s)
- Copies (unofficial are acceptable) of your graduate or professional degree program transcript(s), including most recent
Required Letters of Recommendation
Letter(s) of recommendation may also be emailed to email@example.com. Subject: RFP19_LOR.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation:
(a) One from your academic advisor or mentor stating his or her willingness to supervise your space, aerospace or space-related project and a description of his or her advisory role.
(b) One from another faculty member, employer, or aerospace professional familiar with your proposed area of work.
Award Acceptance Components: As part of your award acceptance, you will be asked to attend the Annual Wisconsin Space Conference in August and submit the following documents to your Grant Management page on the WSGC Grant Application page:
- Award Acceptance Letter
- Media Release Form
- One-Paragraph Biography
- Professional Photo
- Interim Report
- 2-3 project photos
- Present project at the Annual Wisconsin Space Conference in August
- Submit a Proceeding Paper by Sept. 15th to the Proceedings of the Wisconsin Space Journal
Please direct questions about the WSGC Graduate & Professional Research Fellowship Program to:
Lindsay McHenry, Ph.D.
Associate Director for Scholarships/Fellowships
Wisconsin Space Grant Consortium
Wisconsin Space Grant Consortium
2001 Alford Park Drive
Kenosha, WI 53140
Phone: (262) 551-6054
This funding opportunity is made available for the pursuit of space-related research and/or activities through the National Space Grant College and Fellowship Program: NASA Training Grant #NNX15AJ12H. Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) number for this award is 43.008.
All awards are fully competitive awards of opportunity in which applications are reviewed by the WSGC Technical Advisory Panel and other experts as needed. Awards are made by the Assistant Director based on recommendations from the Associate Director.