Carthage College Nurse
Position Summary: The Carthage College Nurse attends to the health and medical needs of Carthage College students. The Nurse serves as a consultant to faculty and staff members on health and wellness issues affecting the student population. The Nurse shares administrative support with other personnel in the Health and Counseling Center.
This is a full time, 10-month position (August through May) with June and July off.
● Provide care coordination services to patients, which include performing initial and ongoing nursing assessments. This includes but is not limited to making appointments and referrals for more advanced care.
● May perform CLIA waived laboratory testing for UTIs, pregnancy, strep, mono, influenza and COVID. Dispense first aid and provide over-the-counter medications
● Serve as the liaison between local hospitals by
○ referring students for care at local clinics and hospitals as needed.
○ consulting with physicians and other staff members.
○ transmitting relevant records and authorizations.
● Monitor institutional compliance with federal and state health requirements and complete associated reports.
● Collect, review, and maintain medical and immunization records for the student body, with the assistance of the Office Manager
● Work with the Office Manager to ensure the
○ Inventory of medical supplies.
○ Preparation and distribution of monthly, semester and annual activity reports.
○ File preparation and record keeping
● Support campus community in providing health education and training, as requested.
● Apprise the College leadership of any potential risks to the college community for communicable disease.
○ Assist in educating the campus community about risks and mitigation strategies associated with communicable diseases
● Support the mission and goals of the Office of Student Life by attending meetings as requested.
● Support the mission and goals of Carthage College and the Office of Student Life by assuming other responsibilities as assigned.
● Track usage of services and expand support available to students on campus.
● Maintain appropriate and updated license and certifications
● A bachelor’s degree and licensure as a registered nurse in the State of Wisconsin.
● A knowledge of health and wellness issues affecting post-secondary students and an understanding of accepted policies and practices in American higher education related to health center issues.
● Documented evidence of appropriate clinical skills and the ability to provide quality health care.
● A personal commitment to, and appreciation of, the mission of Carthage College.
● Sensitivity to multicultural and gender issues and support for diverse and underrepresented populations.
● The ability to effectively coordinate many overlapping tasks.
● Strong customer service orientation and communication skills
●Computer literacy in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and databases needed.
● Two-five years of experience in an educational setting; health education & wellness program preferred.
How to apply
All candidate applications must be submitted through the official application portal for Carthage College. Review of applications will continue until a successful candidate is found. Applications from traditionally under-represented groups are actively encouraged.
Located on the shore of Lake Michigan in the thriving Chicago-Milwaukee corridor, Carthage College blends the best liberal arts traditions with desirable degree programs, transformative learning opportunities, and personal attention from dedicated faculty and staff. Our beautiful campus, an 80-acre arboretum with stunning lake views, is home to 2,600 undergraduate students and 200 graduate students. Founded in 1847, Carthage is consistently named a Best Midwestern College by The Princeton Review and a Most Innovative School by U.S. News & World Report. All Carthage employees play a vital part in the success of our students, as we work together to create an environment where all can achieve their true potential. Grow with Carthage.
Carthage College is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse community. We welcome applications from a broad spectrum of people, including members of ethnic minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.