Apply to the Summer Undergraduate Research Experience program: Deadline TODAY
The Summer Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) program provides students with the opportunity to be active participants in an independent research or creative project under the guidance of a faculty mentor.
Students selected for the SURE program receive a stipend to support 10 weeks of full-time research and creative activities between June and August 2023. Students participating on campus will receive standard campus room and board and a meal plan.
The divisions of Natural and Social Sciences, Professional Studies, and Arts and Humanities invite students in their first through third year of study at Carthage to apply. Each division evaluates proposals and supports their own faculty and student collaborations.
- Apply to SURE for the Natural and Social Sciences
- Apply to SURE for the Arts and Humanities
- Apply to SURE for the Professional Studies
Applications are due Friday, March 24. SURE 2023 award winners will be announced in early April.
Interested students should speak with a project mentor/faculty member before completing the SURE application. Faculty mentors support student research and creative activity during the summer program. Applicants apply to the division of their proposed project and faculty mentor.
In past years, SURE participants have:
- Adapted the novel “Day and Night” into a full-length play
- Studied how special education teachers’ well-being affects a classroom
- Examined the perception of police legitimacy
- Researched the systemic infection of potatoes by Potato Virus Y
- Engineered lightweight probes to study thunderstorms
- Observed the effects of oxytocin on object recognition tasks in rats and its relation to autism
Sponsoring Department, Office, or Organization:
Summer Undergraduate Research Experience