Director of Esports
Carthage College Esports is a Varsity Athletic, that competes in Valorant, Rocket League, Rainbow 6, Overwatch 2, Super Smash Ultimate, League of Legends, Fortnite, and Call of Duty. Games are not offered year round, but rather one semester out of the year, so students have a traditional athlete experience.
This is a unique opportunity for a qualified individual to continue the success of a competitive collegiate esports program. This position will oversee a staff of graduate assistant coaches and focus on achieving yearly recruitment and retention goals for qualified student-athletes. This position will oversee all aspects of the sport program, including, but not limited to, practice planning, game preparation/scouting, in-game coaching, budgeting, scheduling, staff supervision, and fundraising for the program. The incumbent will provide a diverse array of esports programming that will attract participation from a broad spectrum of current and prospective students. They will manage daily operations of the esports room and be responsible for scheduling and equipment maintenance. The position will also work with college faculty to incorporate curricular design into the esport program.
PROGRAM & FACILITY OVERSIGHT (50%)
- Oversees all aspects of the varsity, competitive club, recreational club, and daily operations of the esports program. This is to include but not limited to: sponsored games, special events, and facility operation.
- Oversees all aspects of the Esports Arena including daily operations, student employees, technological infrastructure, cleaning and maintaining of equipment, etc.
- Programs and conducts strengthening and conditioning programs for student athletes, while working in conjunction with the athletic training staff for injury prevention and recovery.
- Manages team within the framework of established budget by purchasing equipment/apparel, uniforms, supplies and other services.
- Directs, supervises, and evaluates esports programming, including sponsored games, open recreation gaming, special events, leagues, camps, and tournaments.
- Ensures appropriate staffing levels for all operating hours and events. Establishes and maintains operating schedule for esports room.
- Hires, supervises, and mentors graduate assistant coaches.
- Monitors eligibility status and promotes academic progress of student-athletes.
- Adheres to all athletic training policies and procedures.
- Performs administrative tasks and completes requests for information as assigned.
- Contributes to the overall success of the Athletics Department by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- In conjunction with Athletic Director, coordinated team fundraising and promotes alumni and community engagement through various programming and outreach.
- Oversees all equipment maintenance, ordering and repairs for the esports arena.
- Enforces department and team expectations regarding general standard of behavior for student-athletes.
- Works with computer science faculty to schedule classroom usage and promotion of video game development programs, including recruitment and retention of students.
- Work with the Masters in Sport Management faculty, including teaching the Esports class in the masters program.
- Recruits and retains qualified student-athletes, including achieving yearly recruiting goals in conjunction with the college admissions office.
- Instructs, teaches, and coaches student-athletes on game strategies and performance principles.
- Manages game-day preparation and scouting of opponents.
- Coordinates the development of a competitive and balanced schedule.
DIGITAL MANAGEMENT (5%)
- Oversee the social media and streaming accounts of Carthage Esports
- Oversee the play-by-play production broadcasts of all Varsity Esport Competitions
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university is required.
- Master’s degree is preferred.
- At least two years of successful experience as head coach or director of a collegiate program of equivalent size (preferably from a college or university of similarity to Carthage)
- Working knowledge of computer, network, streaming/broadcast equipment required.
- In-depth knowledge of NDI, ggLeap, ggRock, & vMix strongly preferred.
- Experience coaching in traditional sports is preferred.
- Certification in Strengthening & Conditioning is preferred.
- Obtaining certification in an approved course is required by start of Fall 2023 Semester
REQUIRED SKILLS, ABILITIES AND/OR LICENSURE
- Demonstrated success in scouting, talent assessment, and recruitment of qualified student-athletes.
- Demonstrated sports management experience, including strategic planning, budget management, equipment purchasing, and risk management.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and leadership skills, strong attention to detail.
- Strong strategic thinking and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to set and achieve or exceed goals and deadlines.
- Working knowledge of collegiate Esports league rules of play in the NECC, and NACE.
- Ability to troubleshoot equipment for optimal gaming experience.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule and travel for both games and student-athlete recruiting.
- Compliance with NCAA Division III rules and regulations.
- Compliance with athletic conference rules and regulations required.
- Compliance with collegiate Esports league rules and regulations required.
Founded in 1847, Carthage College combines an environment of reflection and self-discovery with a culture of high expectation, so that our students uncover and ignite their true potential. As a four-year private liberal arts college with roots in the Lutheran tradition, we place a strong emphasis on both moral and intellectual values. Our prime location in Kenosha, Wisconsin, midway between Chicago and Milwaukee, allows students the opportunity to learn in a professional context. Our beautiful campus, an 80-acre arboretum on the shore of Lake Michigan is home to 150 scholars, 2,600 full-time students, and 400 part-time students. Our rich academic experience equips students with foundational knowledge and skills, preparing graduates to be lifelong learners and to lead meaningful, productive lives.
Carthage College is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse community. We welcome applications from a broad spectrum of people, including members of ethnic minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.