Simulation Operations Specialist
The Simulation Operations Specialist is part of a simulation-based healthcare education team, providing technical and operational support for simulation activities and instructional technologies to enable student learning and the practice of patient care skills in a simulated learning environment.
Simulation Operations Specialist: support training sessions through the set up and take down of simulation training scenarios, operate and maintain simulators, task trainers, audiovisual, and computerized equipment used in clinical and simulation activities and support all technical aspects of simulation education.
- Supports faculty in running simulation education sessions and training exercises using both high and low fidelity health care simulators used in the simulation and skills labs.
- Maintains a thorough working knowledge of all training equipment, allowing for the efficient set-up and breakdown of equipment such as patient simulators, task trainers and audiovisual equipment.
- Utilizes patient simulators’ software and programmed scenarios to set up equipment with anticipated physiological changes and interventions.
- Operates equipment during simulation cases, ensuring students receive high-quality and consistent simulation experiences.
- Troubleshoots and resolves equipment failures and problems with network connectivity and systems supporting simulation operations, A/V systems, and other specialized equipment in coordination with IT staff, vendors, and the Assistant Director of Nursing for Simulation.
- Provides preventative maintenance including regular cleaning and replacement of disposable parts; ensures equipment and supplies are used and maintained properly.
- Troubleshoots and repairs malfunctioning manikins used for simulation and skills lab sessions and contacts vendor technical support as necessary.
- Supports nursing faculty in the development and revision of simulation scenario scripts.
Assists with the testing of new and revised simulation scripts.
- Trains nursing faculty on the use of manikins and the operation of related simulation equipment. Provides orientation sessions of the simulation center and lab.
- Provides scheduled tours of the simulation lab, demonstrating simulation equipment and technologies to prospective students, community groups, and other visitors.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Associate degree in a health science or information technology field
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in the health sciences, education, information technology, or related field preferred.
- Certified Healthcare Simulation Operations Specialist (CHSOS) certification within first year of employment will be required.
- Work experience in a simulation lab, healthcare field, or health education strongly preferred
Functional knowledge or experience with basic computer hardware operations, basic A/V equipment, and video recording
- Demonstrated technical/mechanical aptitude and the ability to operate MAC, PC and Windows platform computer systems
- Some knowledge of medical terminology and human anatomy/physiology
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills with attention to detail
- Ability to understand technical information, both written and explained by others
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office and Google Suite
Located on the shore of Lake Michigan in the thriving Chicago-Milwaukee corridor, Carthage College blends the best liberal arts traditions with desirable degree programs, transformative learning opportunities, and personal attention from dedicated faculty and staff. Our beautiful campus, an 80-acre arboretum with stunning lake views, is home to 2,600 undergraduate students and 200 graduate students. Founded in 1847, Carthage is consistently named a Best Midwestern College by The Princeton Review and a Most Innovative School by U.S. News & World Report. All Carthage employees play a vital part in the success of our students, as we work together to create an environment where all can achieve their true potential. Grow with Carthage.
Carthage College is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse community. We welcome applications from a broad spectrum of people, including members of ethnic minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.