Women in Aviation Scholarship
Announcement of Opportunity
Applications Open: September 1, 2022
Application Deadline: October 24, 2022
Award Announcement: November 18, 2022
$2,000*: Scholarship funds support transportation, lodging, meals, and registration for attendance at the Women in Aviation International Conference in Long Beach, California, on February 23-25, 2023.
* Subject to availability of funds.
Scholarships to support 3 outstanding female undergraduate students interested in aviation-related careers.
- Register on the WSGC website (https://spacegrant.carthage.edu/forms/account/login). Applicants will be prompted to update their personal information annually.
- Upload a current resume to the applicant profile. WSGC will share the provided resume with Wisconsin Aerospace Industry partners for co-op, internship, and employment opportunities if the applicant grants WSGC permission by marking the check box provided.
- Sign in and submit the Grant Application Form (applicants may apply to multiple funding programs) and supporting documents
Applicants who meet the following requirements can apply for this scholarship by registering and applying online at spacegrant.carthage.edu/about/login:
- U.S. citizen
- WI resident during the academic year
- Enrolled full-time in, admitted to, or applied to any undergraduate program at a WSGC college or university
- Minimum 3.0 GPA (Proposals that include a GPA of less than 3.0 will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis)
- Completed application online (see Supporting Materials Required with Application below)
Award winners will be chosen based on academic performance, aerospace-related promise, and the demonstrated interest in pursuing a career in STEM/aerospace/aviation. For consideration, the application form must be complete and be accompanied by supporting documentation.
Supporting Materials Required with Application:
- Maximum two-page statement containing the following (See Tools & Tips for more information on how to create professional communications):
- Interest in aviation.
- Experience in aviation (coursework, pilot training, etc.).
- Benefit of attending the 2023 Women in Aviation conference.
- Future plan to participate in aviation as a career, hobby, etc.
- Copy of most recent college transcript (unofficial is acceptable/not required for incoming freshmen)
- Two (2) Letters of Recommendation: Letter(s) of recommendation may be submitted with the online application. Confidential letter(s) of recommendation may be emailed to: email@example.com Subject: WAI23_LOR.
- One from a faculty member who advises the applicant
- One from an aviation mentor.
*NOTE: Students also applying for the Undergraduate Research Fellowship or other Undergraduate and/or STEM Bridge Scholarship Program should submit a statement distinguishing the scholarship from the fellowship application. Primary consideration for Women in Aviation Scholarship awardees is given to first-time applicants.
Award Acceptance Components:
As part of the award acceptance, awardees will be asked to attend the Annual Wisconsin Space Conference in August 2023 and submit the following documents on the WSGC application website under Program Applications/Your Applications:
- Award Agreement Letter
- Media Release Form
- One-Paragraph Biography
- Professional Photo
- Summary Report
- 2-3 Project Photos Featuring Awardee w/Project
- Present program at the Annual Wisconsin Space Conference in August 2023
- Student Story
Please direct questions about the Women in Aviation Scholarship to:
Christine Bolz, Assistant Director
Wisconsin Space Grant Consortium
2001 Alford Park Drive, Kenosha WI 53140