Announcement of Opportunity
Applications Open: December 9, 2022
Submission Deadline: March 6, 2023
Award Announcements: April 28, 2023
- 2023 Summer Research: Up to $4000
- 2023-2024 Academic-Year Research: Up to $4000
* Based on availability of funds.
Research awards will be provided to qualified undergraduate students to create and implement a small research study of their own design that is directly related to their interests and career objectives in space science, aerospace, or space-related studies. The student may work alone or with a faculty or research staff advisor; however, the conceptualization and design of the project should be their own. Awards will emphasize effective student research and mentoring arrangements. Students from small colleges and universities, and from departments with newly developing space research infrastructure, are especially encouraged to apply. WSGC will facilitate mentoring arrangements if necessary.
- Register on the WSGC website (https://spacegrant.carthage.edu/forms/account/login). Applicants will be prompted to update personal information annually.
- Sign in and submit the Grant Application Form(applicants may apply to multiple funding programs) and supporting documents.
- Provide two letter(s) of recommendation in PDF format through the online application process or confidentially via email to the WSGC Program Office with subject line UGR23_LOR.
Applicants who meet the following requirements can apply for this scholarship by registering and applying online at spacegrant.carthage.edu/about/login:
- U.S. Citizen
- Enrolled full-time in, admitted to, or applied to any undergraduate program at a WSGC college or university
- Enrolled in a STEM program of study and demonstrating an interest in aerospace or supporting NASA’s mission
- Minimum 3.0 GPA (Proposals that include a GPA of less than 3.0 will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis)
- Completed application online (see Supporting Materials Required with Application below)
*NOTE: Students also applying for the Undergraduate Scholarship Program should submit a statement distinguishing the Undergraduate Research Scholarship from the Undergraduate Scholarship application. WSGC limits the number of individuals eligible to receive both awards.
The Consortium invites applications for Undergraduate Research for the 2022-2023 academic year. For consideration, application forms must be complete and be accompanied by supporting documentation. The Consortium especially encourages applications from members of minority groups, women, and persons with disabilities, and from those pursuing interdisciplinary aerospace studies in, but not limited to, engineering, the sciences, architecture, law, business, nursing, and medicine. Award winners will be chosen based on academic performance, aerospace-related promise, and the demonstrated interest in pursuing a career in STEM/aerospace. For consideration, the application form must be complete and be accompanied by supporting documentation.
Supporting Materials Required with Application:
- Copy of your high school transcript (unofficial is acceptable/incoming Freshman and Sophomores only)
- Copy of most recent college transcript (unofficial is acceptable/not required for incoming Freshman)
- Two (2) Letters of Recommendation (Research advisor/another faculty member or teacher, employer, or aerospace professional of your choice)
- A maximum 10-page proposal containing the following categories and labeled clearly (see Tools & Tips for more information on how to create professional communications and Announcement of Opportunity 2022 for specific details):
- Proposed Activities
- Time Line
Required Letters of Recommendation: Letter(s) of recommendation may also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject: UGR23_LOR.
Two (2) Letters of Recommendation:
- One from a faculty member who advises you on your research related to this scholarship (or academic advisor or high school advisor for incoming freshmen).
- One from another faculty member, employer, or aerospace professional of your choice.
Award Acceptance Components:
Submit all reports and required documents to the WSGC application website grant management page under Manage Applications/Current Grant Cycle Applications/Undergraduate Research:
- Award Acceptance Letter
- W9 (Carthage College award recipients submit a W4 and I9)
- Media Release Form
- One-Paragraph Biography
- Professional Photo
- Interim Report
- 2-3 Project Photos (optional 1-minute video) Featuring Awardee w/Project
- Final Report
Complete the following tasks:
- Office of Education Survey must be completed by December 15, 2023
- Present Project at the Annual Wisconsin Space Conference in August
- Submit a Proceeding Paper by Sept. 15 th to the Proceedings of the Wisconsin Space Journal
- Submit a Student Story
Please direct questions about the Undergraduate Research Program to:
Gubbi R. Sudhakaran
Associate Director for Research Infrastructure
Wisconsin Space Grant Consortium
Wisconsin Space Grant Consortium
2001 Alford Park Drive, Kenosha WI 53140