- Associate Professor of Management and Marketing
Professor Colleen O’Brien joined Carthage in 2009 after having served as an adjunct faculty member at Carthage and the University of Wisconsin-Parkside. Prof. O’Brien’s career includes more than 22 years in corporate finance with SC Johnson and IIT Research Institute (Chicago). She has extensive experience in strategic planning, process improvement, financial management, and team leadership/management.
A Wisconsin native, Prof. O’Brian is a summa cum laude 1986 graduate of St. Norbert College, with a degree in finance and economics. She earned her M.B.A. with concentrations in finance and marketing from the University of Chicago, Booth School of Business. She earned her Doctorate in Business Administration – Management at UW-Whitewater. Her research interests include emotional intelligence, personality, work behaviors, and teamwork.
Prof. O’Brien is currently a Board member for Velocity Consulting and is the advisor for Delta Upsilon Fraternity. She is also on the Board of the Racine County Volunteer Center and fosters dogs for Woofgang Rescue.
- D.B.A. — Management, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
- M.B.A. — Finance, with a concentration in Marketing, University of Chicago
- B.A. — Summa Cum Laude, Finance and Economics, St. Norbert College
- MGT 400T Managing and Leading in a Complex World
- MGT 1110 Introduction to Business and Technology
- MGT 3120 Principles of Management
- MGT 3710 International Management
- FIN 3210 Financial Management
- BUS 4900 Senior Seminar
- GNR 6750 Small Business Fundamentals
Personality, Emotional Intelligence, High performing teams, Workplace culture and behaviors.
“Personality and Responses to Covid-19 Health and Safety Measures”, Journal of Personality and Individual Differences, O’Brien C., Tourigny L., Manser-Payne, E., October 2021.
Papers under Review:
“Role Overload and Counterproductive Work Behavior: On the Role of Narcissism and Emotional Intelligence”, Dark Personality in the Workplace Special Edition of Zeitschrift für Psychologie, O’Brien C., Tourigny L.
- “Narcissism and Emotional Intelligence: Gender Moderating Effect on Counterproductive Work Behavior”, International Society for the Study of Work and Organizational Values 2020 Conference, Brasov, Romania; June 28 – July 1, 2020 (Delayed); O O’Brien, C.; Tourigny L.
- “New Member Workshop: Welcome to the AoM! Professional and Career Development, and Volunteerism” Academy of Management Annual Meeting, August 7 – 15, 2020; Vancouver, BC, Canada; Touigny L., Galperin, B., Reizer, A., Saleem, S., O’Brien C.
- “Role Overload and Counterproductive Work Behavior: On the Role of Narcissism and Emotional Intelligence”, Work, Health and Stress Conference, American Psychological Association, Philadelphia, PA, November 2019; O’Brien, C.; Tourigny L.
- “New Member Workshop: Welcome to the Academy of Management 2019”, Academy of Management Annual Meeting, August 9 – 13, 2019; Boston, MA; Touigny L., Roberts, F., Galperin, B., Reizer, A., Olivas-Lujan, M., Saleem, S., O’Brien C.
- “Change is Good – You go First”, Presenter, Carthage College Foxconn in Wisconsin Community Panel, March 14, 2018, Kenosha, WI.
- “Volunteerism and the AoM Meeting,” Professional Development Workshop, Academy of Management Annual Meeting , August 6 – 9, 2018, Chicago, IL; Tourigny, L., Monserrat, S., Galperin, B., Reizer, A., Olivas-Lujan, M., Roberts, F., O’Brien, C.,