WSGC Graduate & Professional Research Fellowship Program
Announcement of Opportunity
Applications Open: December 16, 2022
Submission Deadline: March 13, 2023
Award Announcements: May 5, 2023
- 2023 Summer Research: Up to $5000
- 2023-2024 Academic-Year Research: Up to $5000
*Based on availability of funds.
WSGC Graduate & Professional Research Fellowship Announcement of Opportunity
Partial research fellowship awards to support outstanding students enrolled in a graduate or professional degree-granting program at a Wisconsin member institution pursuing aerospace, space science, or other interdisciplinary space-related independent research or design.
- Letters of Recommendation
- Proposal Clarity, Quality and Strength of Proposal
- Significance/Value of Proposed Research
- Independence of Proposed Research
- Alignment with NASA Mission Directorate Goals
- Articulation of Alignment with NASA Mission Directorate
- Uniqueness of Subject Matter: Is the Field of Study Unusual Among the Applicants, or Closely Related to a Number of Others
- Breadth/Significance/Relevance of Other Activities (e.g. outreach, service, hobbies), and/or unique circumstances/backgrounds
- Register on the WSGC website (https://spacegrant.carthage.edu/forms/account/login). Applicants will be prompted to update personal information annually.
- Upload current resume to applicant profile (optional). Applicants must check box in order to allow WSGC to share the applicant resume with Wisconsin Aerospace Industry partners for co-op, internship, and employment opportunities.
- Sign into the WSGC application website grant management page under Manage Applications/Grant Application Forms and submit the application and supporting documents to the WSGC Graduate and Professional Research Fellowship application (applicants may apply to multiple funding programs).
- Provide two letter(s) of recommendation in PDF format through the online application process or confidentially via email to the WSGC Program Office with subject line RFP23_LOR.
Applicants who meet the following requirements can apply for this fellowship by registering and applying online at spacegrant.carthage.edu/about/login:
- U.S. citizen
- Enrolled full-time in, admitted to, or applied to any graduate or professional degree program at a WSGC college or university
- Minimum 3.0 GPA (Proposals that include a GPA of less than 3.0 will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis)
- Research or engineering design in a field related to space or aerospace
- Completed application online (see Supporting Materials Required with Application below)
The Consortium invites applications for WSGC Graduate & Professional Research Fellowship Program Awards for the 2022-2023 academic year. For consideration, application forms must be complete and be accompanied by supporting documentation. The Consortium especially encourages applications from members of minority groups, women, persons with disabilities, and from those pursuing interdisciplinary aerospace studies in, but not limited to, engineering, the sciences, architecture, law, business, nursing, and medicine. Award winners will be chosen based on academic performance, space-related promise, demonstrated interest in pursuing a career in STEM/aerospace, and breadth/relevance of service, outreach, and other outside activities.
Supporting Materials Required with Application:
- A two- to four-page proposal containing the following (see Tools & Tips for more information on how to create professional communications):
- A clear, concise statement of the independent space, aerospace, or space-related research. The application must indicate how, at least in a broad sense, the research aligns with the goals of a specific NASA Directorate or Center.
- Tasks, schedules, and clearly stated expected results.
- Evidence of previous interest and experience in space-related studies.
- The significance/value of work for the space/aerospace field.
- Complete Academic Resume (see Tools & Tips for more information on how to create a resume)
- One-Page Budget Summary (for your independent research that should be for your sole benefit)
- Provide a brief explanation of any major expenditure items. Any domestic travel or other expenses should be related to your research. You may request living stipends, tuition offsets, supplies and expenses, and similar sorts of funding. WSGC will support travel to and from the Wisconsin Space conference only if expenses are included in the budget proposal. WSGC will not support international travel.
- Provide a brief synopsis of all federal fellowship(s) or traineeship(s) currently supporting this research. Note: Applicants may not be eligible for a WSGC award for research conducted during the same proposed period of performance.
- Provide a budget summary using the Fellowship Budget Proposal Template Form for the proposal that describes in detail the use of funds for the proposed project including labor (people, hours, rates and total), travel (location, transportation costs, hotel costs, meal costs), participant support costs, materials and supplies, and any other costs (with equivalent detail). Indirect charges are unallowable.
- Copies (unofficial are acceptable) of your undergraduate transcript(s)
- Copies (unofficial are acceptable) of your graduate or professional degree program transcript(s), including most recent
Required Letters of Recommendation
Letter(s) of recommendation may also be emailed to email@example.com. Subject: RFP23_LOR.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation:
(a) One from your academic advisor or mentor stating his or her willingness to supervise your space, aerospace or space-related project and a description of his or her advisory role.
(b) One from another faculty member, employer, or aerospace professional familiar with your proposed area of work.
Award Acceptance Components:
As part of your award acceptance, you will be asked to attend the Annual Wisconsin Space Conference in August and submit the following documents to your Grant Management page on the WSGC Grant Application page:
- Award Acceptance Letter
- Media Release Form
- One-Paragraph Biography
- Professional Photo
- Interim Report
- 2-3 Project Photos (optional 1-minute video) Featuring Awardee w/Project
- Final Report
Complete the following tasks:
- Office of Education Survey must be completed by December 15, 2023
- Present Project at the Annual Wisconsin Space Conference in August
- Submit a Proceeding Paper by Sept. 15 th to the Proceedings of the Wisconsin Space Journal
- Submit a Student Story
Please direct questions about the WSGC Graduate & Professional Research Fellowship Program to:
Lindsay McHenry, Ph.D.
Associate Director for Scholarships/Fellowships
Wisconsin Space Grant Consortium
Wisconsin Space Grant Consortium
2001 Alford Park Drive
Kenosha, WI 53140
Phone: (262) 551-6054